Not everyone is highly organised, but when you have to move into a new home, the more organised you are the better you will cope. That said, being organised doesn’t have to be difficult. Just like professional removalists do, if you write down a list of things to do and stick to doing them, you will be organised. The trick may be in knowing exactly what to do, especially if you have never moved before. Here is a list to help you.
- Sort through your things and dispose of everything that you don’t want. This will make packing easier. Disposal can take time if you are selling things, so leave enough time to do it. Taking photos of the goods and writing descriptions if you sell online all take time too, which is why starting early is a good idea.
- Make that phone call to book professional removalists early, making sure they have a truck large enough for your goods, insurance and a good reputation. Another phone call a week or two ahead just to confirm is also a good idea.
- If you are renting your current home, you will need to start cleaning early in order to reduce stress and get your bond back. It is much easier to clean walls and cupboards well before moving day rather than leaving it all till the last minute. Don’t forget on top of the kitchen cupboards and in the groove of sliding windows and doors. That’s where the estate agents will look.
- Weed the garden and tidy up the yard too.
- Pack all those things that you don’t need, such as books, decorations and pictures, out of season clothing, crafts/hobbies and some of the children’s toys. Getting these packed toys back after moving will delight the children and keep them out of your hair while you unpack.
- Pull down the swing/slides/trampoline and pack them away a few weeks ahead of moving date, especially if your children don’t use them much.